domingo, 14 de noviembre de 2010

91 יום

So I just finished putting up the pictures from my last post, but I really need to put this up to vent/remember how this went because it's the kind of moment that is really coming to influence me here. To be honest, I'd also be interested to see how you react to this also.

So yesterday at breakfast, we were trying to figure out what a group of Israeli children that's been here 2 days is doing here. Someone guessed that they may be a religious Jewish group. But that was quickly ruled out because one was taking pictures and it was shabbat (the religious don't use electricity). One girl on our program didn't know about that, so I explained it to her. "That's silly" was her immediate reaction. Now to be honest, I get that, but I tried to explain to her along with a few other people that it's historically important to have a day of rest and even in a modern context that it can be nice to spend a day not worrying about the mundane (FB, cell phones, laptops, etc) worries of the rest of the week and spend time doing what you usually ignore during the week(ie read, spend time with family, play a sport or game, etc). But all she could do was go on about how it's silly to impose rules upon yourself like that. "No you don't understand" I said.  Her reaction "I'm not having this conversation that starts with 'you don't understand'" and she gets up in a huff and leaves.

Here's my question: why is it easier for the left wing to understand a man who blows up a bus full of innocent people because of what he believes in than to understand a man who takes a day of rest because of what he believes in?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario